Friday, April 17, 2009

Breakfast Cereal Muesli

My son took an "around the world" cooking class, and for Switzerland, they made muesli. The teacher let the kids add whatever they wanted of the following ingredients:

rolled oats
rolled rye flakes
wheat germ
brown sugar
raisins
dried pineapple
dried cherries
chopped almonds
chopped dates
ground flax seed
chopped fresh apples
Coconut flakes

Then she let the kids pour milk or cream on top. It was really yummy! I thought I'd mix up a batch to have on hand for breakfasts. Here is what I mixed together:

8 rolled oats
1 c. barley flakes
1 c. triticale flakes
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. unsweetened dried cherries
1/2 c. currants
2 c. unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1/2 c. sucanat
1-1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans, sunflowers, almonds, whatever)

The cool thing is that you can pretty much make this however you want. I found that about 10 cups of grain flakes, 2 c. dried fruits, 2 c. coconut, 1 to 2 c. nuts, 1/2 c ground flax and/or wheat germ plus 1/2 to 3/4c. sweetener worked out pretty well.

Other ingredients you could add:

rolled wheat flakes
millet flakes
rolled rye flakes
chopped dried apricots
blended or chopped dried bananas (use less sweetener if you add these)
blended or dried chopped apples

You can soak this overnight with a little yogurt for easier digestibility, but sometimes it's nice to have something quick. You can also cook it to make it warm if desired. Serve on top of yogurt.

3 comments:

Mom of 5 Boys said...

I was just eating muesli for breakfast and thought to myself, "I'll bet I could find a recipe for this on the Internet." Thanks for posting it! I didn't have to look far!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

It finally occurred to me that I could easily make muesli. It is basically untoasted granola and faster to make than granola!

Mom of 7 said...

Yup! Easy!!