Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce on Thai Chicken Wraps

Our Costco carried an amazing bottle of Thai sweet chili sauce over the winter.  It cost about $5 for a huge bottle.  During the summer, however, I haven't been able to find it there.  I looked around town, but the best I found was a tiny bottle at the health foods store for $4 and it was like 6 oz.  As if that would be enough for my family.  And it just wasn't the same.  I finally called Costco and they tell me that it's a seasonal thing.  Whaaa??  Alright, then, let's make our own!  I combined a few recipes to get this: 

1 cup water
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/3 to 1/2 cup white sugar (evaporated cane juice)
2 tsp fresh minced ginger
2-3 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 to 1 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how hot you like it
2 tsp ketchup
1 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS water

Bring the water and vinegar to a boil.  Add the sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper and ketchup and let boil for 5 minutes.  Mix cornstarch and water, then drizzle into boiling mixture while whisking until thickened.  

Now, you may ask, what would I eat this with?  

THIS:   Thai Chicken Wraps

"Mom, it's like a burst of flavors mingling in my mouth" --- 14 year old son upon tasting this recipe

Trust me, you will love these.  Rave reviews all around.  We do serve these buffet style so picky eaters can choose what they like.  We also add cilantro and thai sweet chili sauce to everything already include in the recipe, and they are delicious!  

Alternatively, you can make these GF by simply skipping the wrap (or using a GF or lettuce wrap) and eating the filling or putting it on a salad.  You can also skip the chicken and go vegetarian easily, it's super flavorful.  

No comments: