Monday, September 22, 2008

Tuna Broccoli Rice Casserole

Perfect for casserole night! And one of the very few tuna casserole recipes that does NOT contain cream of whatever soup.

4 -5 c. cooked brown rice
1 c. chopped celery
1 sm chopped onion
1 c. whipping cream
½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
½ tsp dried tarragon or other spice
2-3 cans albacore tuna, drained
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli, thawed (or if fresh, lightly steamed)

Schlop it all together in a bowl. Dump into a 9x13 pan. Cover with shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese if desired. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.

Note: I blend my onions in the blender with a little water because I have kids who won't eat onion chunks! Sometimes I even toss in the other veggies too. You can add carrots as well.

You can also omit the tuna if desired (which I must admit to doing in a separate portion for my fish-hating child...)

No comments: