Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Almost Perfect Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars

I searched high and low for a tasty, chewy gluten free, dairy free granola bar, but I couldn't find a good recipe.  I decided to create my own and this is the result of a lot of experimentation.

1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. sucanat
1/4 c. coconut oil (or butter)
3/4 c. Coconut milk
1 c natural peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 c oats
1 c crispy rice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chocolate chips

Melt in a pot:  honey, sucanat, butter.  Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.  Let boil over med-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla.  Stir with whisk until combined.  Let cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine oats, crispy rice and salt.  Add the liquid ingredients to the dry.  When the mixture is cool enough, add the chocolate chips.  Spread in greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool, then slice into bars.

2 comments:

AmyA said...

This recipe looks great - thank you so much! I just discovered your blog two weeks ago through a friend, and I am so encouraged by all of the GF recipes. We are a newly GF family, and I can't wait to try many of your recipes. Happy to have found you!

Mom of 7 said...

Glad you found my blog! When I first learning about GF, I found that most GF recipes weren't made of whole foods. So I had to adapt everything because I still wanted to eat healthy foods! Good luck on your GF journey.